The Risks Of Untreated Hearing Loss
Updated: Sep 03, 2019
It's more than just hearing!
More than 38 million Americans have a significant hearing loss. Not being able to hear at a normal level will result in poorer communication and frustration for sure, but are there consequences beyond the obvious? YES.
- 3 times more likely to acquire DEMENTIA
- Untreated hearing loss has recently been linked to Alzheimer's
- A person with even a mild untreated hearing loss is 3 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO FALL
- 32% more likely to be HOSPITALIZED
- 57% more likely to report POOR EMOTIONAL or PHYSICAL HEALTH
- Untreated hearing loss can lead to FURTHER HEARING LOSS as the hearing center weakens from lack of usage.
- 5 times more likely to experience STRESS in the work place
- Significantly elevated rate of DEPRESSION and ANXIETY
- Higher risk of being unaware of sounds that can pose risk to PERSONAL SAFETY.
*The risks mentioned above are the results of information obtained through several studies including a two decade study by Johns Hopkins University, The Better Hearing Institute and the Journal of the American Medical Association.